Sunday, June 21, 2009

can i get a menu domkoff

Well here I am smack in the middle of Germany. I've been here 2 days and had three hot dog type meals, and its pretty sick. Ill devote this post mainly to the German eating experiance as I have found it so far. Like all of Europe Germany is big on the cafe. The main difference between these cafes and the ones in downtown NY is that you are expected to linger over your food, and I mean really take a long time. Dont expect to sit down in at a table and be served right away, I've found that it takes a good 5 minutes for a waiter to notice you, then another 20 or so to get your food, and then another 10 to get the waiters attention again to get your check. All this waiting is a little tough on a born and bread New Yorker like me but theres something enjoyable about taking a good hour to eat lunch. My cheif complaint about German cafe's is the waiters. In Germany you never tip more then one euro because the waiters get a significant salery. This means they dont live on tips like our American waiters, and this means that they could give a dam if they mess up your order cause youl only dock them one euro for it. This isnt just something I notice eaither, I watced an old German man reduce his waitress to tears because he was so feed up with the serive. When you do finally snag a waiter they luckily are patient enough to deal with a foreigner like me (the only German I know comes from World War Two movies), and are generally as helpful and nice as our waiters back home. What they lack in service they make up for in charm and food. In New York Ive been trained to pick a good eatery from bad, but in Germany any cafe you walk into it almost guarenteed to give you a decent meal. The quality of the food is simply better on average. Also NY cafes arnt in fucking Europe, which already puts them at a disadvantage. The first thing I thought to myself when I stepped off the train into my little town was "all the steryotypes are true." The part of the country that I'm in, for the most part, looks exactly like that fake Europe in Disney World. Needless to say the restaurants and cafes in Germany have a charm that no Ameircan reastaurant can easily match sicne they pretty much look like they hopped out of story book.

*this post is prob full of errors, sorry this whole computer is in German and I cant spell check anything (ok levi).

No comments:

Post a Comment