Thursday, June 11, 2009

K.orean F.ried C.hicken


Im a little late on this trend.  About a year ago I started to hear a lot about Korean Fried Chicken both from friends and from the NY times dinning section.  Embarrassingly enough for me (especially since I'm part Korean) I had never had the stuff and it wasn't until last night that I got a chance to taste it.  The bird came from Bon Chon, a Korean chain which is gaining popularity in New York (locations include one store downtown, one in Flushing, and one in midtown).  I must admit I didn't actually go to the restaurant, we ordered in (apples to apples was getting intense and we couldn't leave the table).  I had Bon Chon's basic dish, non spicy boneless chicken pieces.  Each piece is about the size of a mcnugget, but tastes about as good as a mcnugget sprinkled with E.  Each Gooknugget (mcnuggest for micks, gooknuggest for gooks)  is really a master piece of deep frying.  Most fried chicken you get in the states has been heavily breaded, and is wrapped in a crusty coat of grease and fried skin.  Dont get me wrong this style of chicken when pulled off well (Blue Ribbon) is a pleasure to eat.  But Bon Chon's lightly breaded pieces were a welcome refreshment from a lifetime of American style nuggets.  What sets Bon Chon's gooknuggets apart is that their crust is actually rather thin and light, yet still crunchy and crisp.  Also a problem that plagues most friend chicken, dryness, is not an issue with Bon Cohn.  Each piece is moist and juicy, but not dripping with grease.   Achieving this balance must require careful frying, and props to Bon Chon for bringing asian precision to the fried chicken game.             

No comments:

Post a Comment